My computer is too messy. It resembles an overfull toolbox. I also don't much care for the way Windows is organized. If I owned a Mac (or could afford one) I would go that route. But I've used Ubuntu in the past and loved it. The advantages of this change are:
- Clear compartmentalization
- Reduce clutter
- Cognitive association i.e. I boot into Ubuntu that sends a subtle signal that I am programming and nothing else
- Build further context comfort with the Unix environment for development
- Opportunity to clean up extra tools from my Windows enviroment
And the cons are:
- Reinstall IDE's and dev tools
- Context shift and learning curve will take a small time investment
- Installation process (backup, iso image for boot installation, partitioning etc.)
I think it will be worth it. I can be a bit nit picky about different projects touching. It creates a soup that bothers the programmers OCD in me.
Hopefully I don't obliterate my hard drive somehow.